Happy International Women's Day 2021!
Happy International Women's Day loves!
Don't you love how freeing and gratifying it is to help empower another woman to achieve their dreams? #empoweredwomenempowerwomen and this year I want to highlight the local SHEROS that I personally call friends. Just like Kai helped empower me years ago to bet on myself and my OWN brand by sharing a bit of Riri's story, I want to share the story of some women with you to inspire you to BET on YOURSELF.
In partnership with Herradura and Paperless Post we are celebrating 8 women trailblazers in the Bay Area that are living their lives boldly and colorfully. They are also making a difference in the lives of other women, which is one of the best ways to pay it forward. Please join me in giving these women their flowers NOW and showing them so love. A quick text goes a long way :)
1. Dr. Joy Cooper, CEO, Culture Care - culturally connecting women with physicians. Stop leaving the doctor's office with questions and get trusted advice from physicians culturally similar to you.
- Fun Facts - Dr. Joy and I went to Undergrad and our first Trinidad Carnival together! We also started our Lean Canvas entrepreneurial goals around the same time, meeting up for Sunday working / accountability sessions).
2. Ashleigh Reddy, Photographer & Content Creator - photographer capturing joy and always adding more seats to the table for women.
- Fun Facts - Ashleigh invited me to my first creator invite years ago for Pure Beauty and I later hired her for one of my first tech events to screen the movie Get Out.
3. Ariel Belgrave Harris, Wellness Coach - your new fitness trainer and health coach. Nothing makes her happier than watching women WIN. She has helped 1000+ women create healthy eating habits, lose weight, and feel energized.
- Fun Facts - Ari is my West Indian brilliant sister and we used to take pride in being full time techies with vibrant creative side hustles; but Ari made the BIG LEAP and the timing couldn't have worked out better to see her thrive in helping busy women slay their body goals.
4. Zenab Keita, Partnerships, Golden State Warriors - a key member of the Partnerships team for the Warriors, a former women's Yale basketball team player and a leader for the Women's ERG for the Warriors. She is an incredible advocate for women and empowering others to use their voice for positive change.
- Fun Facts - I met the goddess Zenab at our friend Tanneasha's birthday and I've been in awe of my fellow Ivy League #bossbabe ever since. She was recently selected as one of new Voices Under 30, a platform to recognize a new wave of leaders with fresh voices in sports business who will represent the next generation as change agents.
5. Joy Harper, Finance Principal, Google - Joy is an aspiring CFO who loves to discuss tax, finance, technology, cryptocurrency, and a little bit of fashion. She currently leads finance systems, transformation and integration at Google. Joy's presence can always be felt when she enters the room and the gems she leaves are invaluable. She is a FORCE to be reckoned with and goes above and beyond to help others thrive.
- Fun Facts - Joy embodies excellence and all things fabulous while organizing the financial data of Google's holding company Alphabet and serving as a lead for the Women in Finance ERG at Google. Her reach extends beyond her office as she is a member of the ACLU's Northern California Finance and Investment Committee and she's served as an advisor in helping me launch my fashion line, which I'm eternally grateful.
6. Dara Treseder, CMO Peloton, Dara is a business leader with expertise in building and leading high performing global marketing, communications, and commercial organizations. In 2020, Dara was recognized as one of the 25 Most Innovative CMOs in the world by Business Insider and is always an open book, willing to share what it really takes to make it as a C-suite executive.
- Fun Facts - Dara and I met in undergrad and one of my favorite memories with Dara is participating in our student run fashion show, Eleganza together, *Memories* Since I've moved to the Bay it's been incredible watching Dara's career soar and loving family grow. Our most recent glam collaboration was a personal styling session in preparation for Dara's new role as the CMO of Peloton.
7. Sherri McMullen, Founder, McMullen - Founded in 2007 by Sherri McMullen in Oakland, McMullen is an all inclusive concept shop for luxury womenswear featuring emerging and established designers from around the world.
- Fun Facts - Sherri and I met through Joy (esquire :) through a love of fashion and she's been an incredible advocate turned friend to have as a new emerging fashion designer in the Bay Area. Sherri reached out to me for a super fun collab with Miista and I'm in awe of her #bossbabe wellness and all things fabulous work ethic.
8. Michelle Wei, Photoshop PM, Adobe, Co-Founder of Studio Table - Michelle Wei is Studio Table's co-creator and leads its partnerships, operations and community engagement. Michelle goes above and beyond to highlight diverse women talent and I'm grateful for the artists I've been able to meet because of her.
- Fun Facts - "By day" fascinated by the ways art and technology intersect Michelle is also a product manager at Adobe Photoshop. So we both shared the love of finding the intersection of technology with Art with me working at Microsoft and also being an avid user of Adobe's tools as a designer and content creator. Michelle and I met at one of her fab Studio Table events sponsored by Skyy Vodka and are also both members of Soho House.
Please join me again in celebrating these women and all of the amazing women in your own personal lives that continue to make a difference.